OpenBSC -> only BTS+RNC+MSC+HLR without BSC possible?

Ellen Apolinar ellen.apolinar.td at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 25 07:50:22 UTC 2012

Hi Harald,

thank you for your answer.

2012/6/22 Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>

> Ellen,
>
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 01:30:45PM +0200, Ellen Apolinar wrote:
> > 1st idea: Implement OpenBSC for several BTS, also for UMTS.
>
> There are no BTS in UMTS.  There is no BSC in UMTS.  There's only NodeB,
> RNC.  As the Iub interface is completely unlike Abis, and UMTS (except
> call control and sms) is completely unlike GSM, I really don't
> understand what a BTS and a BSC would have to do with UMTS.

We want to use it for GSM and UMTS. I know that UMTS is completely
different
and what I meant was BTS for GSM and NodeB for UMTS. UMTS is more important
than GSM for our project and I have to analyse if it is possible to realise
it also for
UMTS. One of our programmers will work for a half year at the projekt to
realise it.

> > how to build libs to implement the BTS to the OpenBSC-project. I don't
> know
> > if it is possible and how long it takes. We will see it.
>
> If you are talking about a classic GSM BTS that speaks a dialect of
> A-bis RSL (08.58), adding support for them to OpenBSC shouldn be hard.
> Can you give us a list of BTS models that you're looking to support?

We want to support following BTS/NodeB - models:

Nokia: Citytalk, Ultrasite, Flexitalk
Alcatel: G9100 Evolium, 63/64
Siemes: BS60/61/21, BS240/241/40/41/82

Also Nortel GSM BTS. We got the traces from the Nokia Ultrasite and
Flexitalk, also from the Nortel18000. We have a T1/E1 Protocol Analyser:

http://www.gl.com/laptopt1.html

Also, just to make sure, I suppose you are planning to actively submit
> or at least release the source code modifications to OpenBSC.  We are
> more than happy to add more A-bis dialects.
>
> As soon as you operate a network with it, or you distribute the code to
> any other entity, the AGPLv3 license requires you to release the source
> code to all your additions/modifications anyway.

Yes, this is known here and I think it should be quite natural that we
release
the code with our modifications if it works and share our ideas with you.

> Based on past experience, I would say adding support for a new Abis
> variant is an effort somewhere between one and three man-weeks for a
> developer already familiar with OpenBSC internals and APIs.

The project I work for is from a company so the purpose is that one of the
programmers
works with us at the project and becomes familiar with OpenBSC for making
modifications so we could realise the connection with our BTS and perhaps
for UMTS.

> > 2nd idea: Have a BTS - RNC - MSC - HLR - connection with parts of
> OpenBSC.
>
> Have you actually studied the specifications?  Do you realize that the
> RNC-MSC interface is RANAP based.  Do you realize that those interfaces
> and protocols are nothing like anything that exists in GSM or OpenBSC?

This is known, yes. Building the interfaces and protocols should not be
impossible I
think. There are six months we have to build protocols, interfaces and to
modify the code.
But we have to know if it is achievable and if it is worth it. If it is to
unstable we have to
focus another way for building a test arrangement for BTS and NodeB.

> Regards,
>        Harald

Best regards
Ellen