GPRS Gb code (NS/BSSGP) to libosmocore.git / PCU

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Jun 18 04:39:51 UTC 2012

Hi all!

For some time, Ivan of Fairwaves has been working on PCU code for
OpenBTS.  In order to not have to re-implement NS/BSSGP, he used the
openbsc/src/libgb/* code that we already had as part of openbsc.git

I've now finally found some time and completely separated this code from
all the dependencies to openbsc stuff and migrated it as new "libosmogb"
into the libosmocore.git repository.  This has  been done with git
filter-branch, and thus the history has been preserved during the
migration.  All Gb code has now been removed from openbsc.git.

This separation has been much more painful than anticipated (especially
on the BSSGP side), and the result is not very clean either.  I hope to
get back and clean this up further at some point, providing a better
interface between applications and the library.

Ivan's PCU code is now in osmo-pcu.git on git.osmocom.org, and I've also
already ported it over to use the shared libosmogb.  The latter is not
yet pushed, but I'll do that soon.   I've also removed any other direct
include and/or linking against openbsc/osmo-sgsn/openggsn, so the PCU
can now build fully autonomously, just linking against the shared
libosmo{core,gsm,vty,gb}.

Next upcomig will be the support of osmo-bts (sysmoBTS hardware) from
osmo-pcu.  Andreas Eversberg has been contracted by sysmocom to spend
some time on this.

interested specificall in GPRS PCU issues.  We thought it is best to
keep it separate, as it will be of interest to people from the OpenBSC
as well as the OpenBTS communities, and list-crossposting might not be
the best thing to do.