OpenBSC with Dahdi+Asterisk and several BTS

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Jun 4 11:30:00 UTC 2012

Ellen Apolinar wrote:
> So it seems that connecting OpenBSC with an UMTS BTS is not a good idea.
> I have read that the developer want to try to make it possible that OpenBSC
> supports UMTS. But perhaps it is possible to do it by myself?

I'd suggest to focus on the GSM BTSes first. Once you have
implemented support for the new BTSes in OpenBSC you will be familiar
not only with the OpenBSC source code but also with other project
participants.

> The purpose of my project is to connect several BTS (GSM and UMTS) with
> the pc and to build an interface between both (BTS and pc) so we can test
> the BTS with selfprogrammed software. Our first idea is to realize this
> with OpenBSC.

I think it's a good plan. OpenBSC can help you by being a framework
in the early stages of communicating with the BTSes.

> When someone of you have ideas how to realize it with OpenBSC I would
> be happe of any kind of tipps.

You have to dive into the source code at this point.

Look at how the communication with existing supported BTSes works, and
start adding code for any of the BTSes you want to support. Since you
have multiple to work with, start with the one that has the smallest
differences to one of the already supported BTSes, which besides the
BS-11, nanoBTS, and MetroSite also includes the InSite as was pointed
out to me off-list. (Thanks for the correction!)

> I know that this isn't done in a few weeks and that there is very
> much to do before it could work.

Well, it depends on how different your various BTSes are from the
supported ones. If you are lucky some of the code you need to write
will be very easy.

//Peter