libosmo-sccp and static archives

Diego Elio Pettenò flameeyes at flameeyes.eu
Wed Jul 4 12:15:20 UTC 2012

Hello,

I was going on with the autotools cleanup (in order of listing in cgit)
but I'm a bit surprised about the libosmo-sccp structure, which
contrarily to libosmocore, libosmo-abis and libosmo-dsp is not using
libtool, but it's actually building three static archives, with one
source file each.

Now, I don't know if it might be too late to consider changing this but
I'm wondering why it has been done this way; when using a shared object
it might make sense (although the overhead of using more than one object
is probably higher than loading the unused code), but with static
archives all the Unix link editors I know only take by default only the
objects that are actually needed by what it's being linked; that is
using a single libosmo-sccp.a will only bring in the final linking the
object files that are actually needed.

I also wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to have everything built in
the same project/source tree with libosmocore — in general this seems to
be small enough, and the time/space spent for these three files is
probably well recovered by the extra ./configure run that it has to run.

Let me know if I can be of help — I'll still send the autotools cleanup
for this project today I think.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flameeyes at flameeyes.euhttp://blog.flameeyes.eu/