OpenBSC development

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Jan 9 11:32:38 UTC 2012

Hi again,

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 08:32:26AM +0100, Labs wrote:

> I already checked the link but the package repository doesn't keep
> up with updates from git repository. Most of them were built in the
> summer last year, that's why I wanted a nightly built to have the
> latest bug fixes and features.

Are you volunteering to setup and maintain such a repository?

Pleaes don't try to issue complaints/demands to people who are
constantly overworked and who already give away all the results of their
work as Free Software.  We publish our software in source code form for
everyone to be used.

If somebody steps up and maintains such repositories, fine, we certainly
welcome that.  But I don't see the very small group of developers
spending their non-existing spare time on building packages for
god-knows-how-many different Linux distributions and other platforms out
there, sorry.

> I was talking about all config parameters to be in one DB and not in
> text files. Also it can be an XML file with all configuration and
> not many text files.

It right now is exactly _one_ text file for OpenBSC, containing _all_
parameters.  So I don't really see what XML would gain us, apart from
being unreadable by human users, and requiring bloated large libraries
for parsing and validation of the data.

> From VTY just run let's say "backup live-config" command and you
> will have an XML with all configuration that you can move on other
> hardware.

> XML should contain everything like E1 or IP settings, BTS and cell
> parameters, etc.

we have exactly that with openbsc.cfg. Just not XML.