OpenBSC development

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 08:16:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

> In Germany I know at least 2 operators which are swapping right now with
> other vendor all network so you will have on the market thousands of BTS
> equipments, mostly Siemens. The problem is power and space because you will
> not find micro-cells. They mostly have big ones.

The "micro cell" was implied ... of course not every one wants a macro
cell to play with.
Also "cheap" is like < 1kEUR new and probably < 500 EUR used.

> That's bad because I wanted to run OpenBSC on SPARC and my programming
> skills are almost zero and some help with compiling was nice. :=)

Well, here's a chance to learn. And do yourself a favor and pick up
any mini-itx x86 board and run it on that ...

> Normally I prefer the VTY on any kind of hardware configuration but the VTY
> for OpenBSC is not so intuitive and helpful that's why I asked for a web
> interface to help setup the BSC, BTS and transmission parts.

If you had any experience with cisco, it would be pretty intuitive ...
also there is autocompletion

> My idea was to change the way it is now and split the commands in:
> "list or show or get" - for checking already set parameters
> "display" - for checking live parameters, like transport layer errors, line
> up, down, BTS up, down
> "set,add" - for adding new configuration parameters
> "modify" - for changing a parameter value

Just because _you_ don't like it doesn't mean we'll all change our way
of doing things to accommodate you. I personally like the current
config method and it allows to do everything you listed above (with
different command names) and so I don't see any benefit of spending a
significant amount of time rewriting code that works ....

> I was talking about all config parameters to be in one DB and not in text
> files. Also it can be an XML file with all configuration and not many text
> files.

"many" ?

OpenBSC has exactly 1 text file ... and why on earth would we want to
change that to a binary db format, or worse an XML ...
The text file is easily readable and editable by hand and matches the
VTY commands (so once you know one, you know the other)

> From VTY just run let's say "backup live-config" command and you will have
> an XML with all configuration that you can move on other hardware.
>
> XML should contain everything like E1 or IP settings, BTS and cell
> parameters, etc.

The OpenBSC config contains ... the OpenBSC config. All other
parameters (IP or E1 card driver settings ...) are outside of scope of
this project. This is meant to be a software BSC, not an "appliance".

If you want to make it "appliance" like with all the OS and
surrounding drivers and some kind of unified config for everything and
such, feel free to start a new project for that, but this is
independent of the core BSC software. If you don't have the time or
skill for that, you can always hire someone to do it for you.

Cheers,

    Sylvain