OpenBSC development

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Sun Jan 8 13:33:04 UTC 2012

On 01/08/2012 01:29 PM, Labs wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all congratulations to all people involved in this project.
> I am new to this list but I watch the project for some time. I have some
> questions and maybe some ideas how to make this project testers or enthusiasts
> friendly.

welcome! From my point of view the barrier is not lack of packages or
documentation but more the lack of affordable hardware.

> * What about some packages for OpenBSC so we can install them easier from a
> repository? How hard, time consuming is to make a nightly build of the git
> sources and have some pre-compiled Debian packages?

Thank to Jan we have packages.osmocom.org with Debian/Ubuntu packages, our
libraries are also on the way into debian repositories (again thanks to Jan's
effort). We do not have nightly builds though, I don't know Debian's policy of
automatically signing nightly builds though.

> * Did somebody try to build OpenBSC on SPARC architecture? I have some Sun
> servers that I would like to use for this project. Same thing like before,
> some pre-compiled packages would be nice for SPARC.

Not tham I am aware of.

> * Now, more like a project design request.
>
> There is not so much documentation how to configure the parameters of OpenBSC,
> SGSN and BTS so a web interface also would be nice and very helpful.

I have started generating XML (to be used by docbook or converted to Trac Wiki
Syntax) from our VTY (Virtual TeleType) interface. The XML generated from the
application can be merged (via XSLT) with additional documentation and then be
included in any kind of documentation.

> Second thing on this topic, moving configuration from one server to another
> needs to be exported easily and imported in the same way to new hardware. What
> about a DB that keeps all the settings and with one command in CLI or web
> interface you export everything and import it on another hardware?

I don't understand this part, our config files are plain text and can be
copied around nicely. I assume you refer to something else. We also have the
beginning of a Machine-Interface (gdb terminology) but no conclusion of how to
combine that with the vty.

To summarize, you are more than welcome to help us on the documentation part,
bring more structure to the wiki, create a docbook for OpenBSC, include the
VTY commands and config options in a reference kind of manual.