Building an E1/T1/J1 line interface

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Jan 20 07:56:20 UTC 2012

Hi Nalin,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:35:22AM +0530, Nalin Karunasinghe wrote:

> I have experience in USB/SPI and telecommunications. I have just
> installed and tested openbts and i love to offer my help to osmocom
> project. i can make a usb to spi adapter working with your board.

Thanks a lot for bringing this up and offering your help.  Right now we
still need to finish the design of the E1 transceiver part.

After that, there is room for evaluating different options of using it,
both using a pure 'software defined E1' approach using a microcontroller
and doing all the mux/demux/HDLC in software - as well as for an
approach with some programmable logic involved.

That kind of experimentation doesn't really need a new board, as you can
just connect the osmo-e1-xcvr via SPI/SSC to e.g. your favorite
microcontroller.

If you're happy to work on that, e.g. to create a 'software defined E1'
implementation, you're most welcome.  I can send you either a populated
PCB or a component kit + pcb to solder it yourself.

Design of a new board with integrated microcontroller is premature at
this point.  we first have to make it working as a wired-up prototype...