Setting up a fixed IP for the ip.access nanoBTS using ipaccess-telnet

carcelle carcellelist at free.fr
Wed Feb 8 00:40:10 UTC 2012

Hi dear list,

After sometimes to get it work, I have set-up a fixed IP on my ip.access nanoBTS
and thought that could be helpful to share the howto/tuto from this experience :

The best way for linux user is to use the ipaccess-telnet tool from the git
(git clone git://git.osmocom.org/libtelnet.git) rather than BTS installer from
ip.access which doesn't easily allow the access to the flags of configuration (i.e. NV
attributes) of the nanoBTS.

1/installation of ipaccess-telnet

I have installed it on a debian 5.0.9 (linux 2.6.26) after git cloning
git://git.osmocom.org/libtelnet.git

my autotools versions : autoconf 2.61-8 + automake 1:1.10.1-3

after running into the following autotools build

#autoreconf; automake --add-missing; autoreconf; autoconf; automake; ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local; make -j 2; make install

I ran into that error "ltmain.sh: No such file or directory" and used the
following command to fix that config error

#libtoolize

in the libtelnet directory and I had the ipaccess-telnet tool build/installed

2/use of ipaccess-telnet on the nanoBTS

once ipaccess-telnet is installed, one should first allow the telnet on port
3210 on the nanobts using that command

#ipaccess-config -n 0x400/0x400 BTS_IP

which set the correct mask on the flag enabling the telnet on port 3210.
Then I could telnet the nanoBTS on port 3210 w/ the following command

#ipaccess-telnet <ip> 3210

once on the CLI interface for the nanoBTS, you can get help w/

>help config
(...)
db::setnetmask           <net mask>                    Sets nBTS IP Net Mask
db::setipaddr            <ipaddr>                      Sets nBTS IP address
(...)
db::getflags
(...)
db::setflag              <flag>                        Enables Config Flag
db::clearflag            <flag>                        Disables Config Flag
(...)
>dhcp help
Expecting 3 arguments
DHCP configuration flags in database: