SMSC Thoughts

Tobias Engel t-openbsc at tobias.org
Sat Feb 25 09:53:50 UTC 2012

Hi Harald,

sorry for the late answer (I was on vacation (*)).

> However, to put things a bit more into perspective and ensure that this
> SMSC can also be used in a real GSM core network later on, I would like
> to ask you to consider staying in line with how the
> primitives/transacitions look like in a real GSM network.

Agreed. We should use the real world protocols and only simplify by
omitting the parts we currently don't need.

> Now the desing questions are:
> * do you agree that we should align with those primitives?

Yes.

> * If yes,is it really worth coding a custom protocol for them, or should
>   we rather already use at least the MAP encoding, but ignore the
>   complex TCAP transaction state machines and SCCP routing?  There's
>   already libosmo-asn1-map which should be able to parse and generate
>   the 'real world' data structures.  The extra effort is probably
>   limited, and if the messages are then simly sent over a raw TCP (IPA)
>   connection, there is no SS7 complexity.

I am definitely against a custom protocol. Using MAP over raw TCP sounds
fine to me.

I will try to find some time to sit down with Peter some time next week
to discuss this further.

Regards,
-Tobias

(*) ... in a remote location where they did have GSM, but they switched
off the BTS during the night to save power ;)