SMSC Thoughts

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Feb 3 11:09:44 UTC 2012

Hi!

I'm just writiing this up as you mentioned that you were considering to
look into implementing an external SMSC.  This is great news, and of
course you can do it whatever way you want to do it.

However, to put things a bit more into perspective and ensure that this
SMSC can also be used in a real GSM core network later on, I would like
to ask you to consider staying in line with how the
primitives/transacitions look like in a real GSM network.

The idea here is that with every new interface we introduce in
osmo-nitb, we should try ot move towards that of a real network.  This
does't mean that it has to implement the actual detailed MAP/TCAP/SCCP
encoding as specified, but simply that they semantic of the
primitives/messages and their order and time of occurrence is the same.