HLR and EAP-SIM integration

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Aug 2 07:39:34 UTC 2012

Hi Thus0,

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 08:57:15AM +0200, Thus0 Petrus wrote:

> I'm trying to make a testbed for EAP-SIM with freeradius to authenticate on
> a WLAN network.
> it works well thanks to the patch provided by seek-for-android : you can
> see the details here :
> http://code.google.com/p/seek-for-android/wiki/EapSimAka
> but you need to store IMSI, RAND, SRES, KC in a flat file as by default, we
> don't have the Ki of SIM cards
> and don't have a HLR so we need to precalculate these values.

I see.  But then, why is that a problem or an insufficient solution?

Without the Ki, you _need_ to use precomputed values, there's no other
chance.

> For our testbed, we're using some MagicSIM we've programmed with our own Ki.
> So I wonder if anybody has already done some integration of freeradius with
> openbsc HLR to do EAP-SIM ?

The OpenBSC "HLR" is an integral part of OsmoNITB itself.  At the
moment, we don't have any interfaces by which external applications can
query it.  Separating it out from OsmoNITB is on the TODO list for some
time now, but it hasn't happened yet.

> Or is there a tool to calculate the triplets (RAND, SRES, KC) with input
> the IMSI (and Ki stored in the database) ?

Please check osmo-auc-gen from the tools subdirectory of libosmocore.
It uses the authentication framework of libosmocore and user-provided
Ki to compute RAND,SRES and Kc.

However, it is just a stand-alone command-line program, and doesn't
interface with any database.

> If not, could someone points me where to start to write my own tool ? I
> don't think pysim can do it...

I'd suggest to base off the auth.c api of libosmocore, i.e. exactly the
same functions that osmo-auc-gen utilize.