EMFCamp - A UK Hackcamp this summer!

Paul Dart pauldart at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 09:49:40 UTC 2012

Hello !

Although not entirely on topic, Harold is happy for me to post to
these lists about an event I've been involved in.

Electromagnetic Field is a UK hacker/maker camp that is occurring in
just under a months time. In case you haven't, here's the gist:

Electromagnetic Field is a non-profit three day camping festival for
people with an inquisitive mind or an interest in making things:
hackers, geeks, scientists, engineers, artists, and craftspeople.

It's taking place in Milton Keynes between the 31st August and the 2nd
September and is inspired by European camps such as the Chaos
Communication Camp and Hacking At Random, which means that we have an
absurd internet connection to a field, and power to every tent.

There will be talks and workshops on everything from genetic
modification to lockpicking, blacksmithing to high-energy physics,
reverse engineering to electronic engineering, quadcopters to beer
brewing and crocheting to carpentry. If you decide to talk about
something, there's space for you to do so, and plenty of people who
want to listen.

The campsite will be littered with interesting things to play with and
explore, from ride-on tanks to giant dinosaurs. And more lasers than
you can shake a laser-covered stick at.

Attendees are encouraged to form villages and put on activities for
other people around the camp, and we're going to have villages
covering everything from gaming to 3D printing. If you'd like to form
a village, get in touch!

    https://www.emfcamp.org/tickets

Your ticket will give you the following things:

* A secure place to camp for three days.
* Power to your tent.
* Very fast internet access (both wired and wireless).
* Access to running water and hot showers.
* A whole pile of awesome talks and workshops by amazing people.
* A full bar.
* One fully programmable camp badge, equipped with wireless communications.
* A campsite equipped with weird and wonderful things to play with.
* A weekend unlike any other in the UK.

If we've still not sold you, maybe you should read our website and blog,
which have exhaustive information about the camp:

    https://www.emfcamp.org

    http://blog.emfcamp.org

If you've got any questions feel free to email me or the team!

Paul