Question regarding timeouts and RRLP

Refik Hadzialic refikthesis at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 23 16:26:51 UTC 2012

Hi Holger,

I did what you suggested (at least I think I did), I recreated the
silent call with different variable names in gsm_subscriber_connection
and I added the release checks in msc_release_connection in
libmsc/osmo_msc.c for the RRLP transaction, thank you for guiding me!
However, I have one more question regarding the connection, it gets
always disconnected after some time.

When I create the connection e.q. by typing in the terminal
"subscriber id 1 silent-call start sdcch", and my request is being
sent out (RRLP request) in the function:

static int paging_cb_silent in libmsc/silent_call.c in "case
GSM_PAGING_SUCCEEDED:", between the following two lines:

"osmo_signal_dispatch(SS_SCALL, S_SCALL_SUCCESS, &sigdata);" and
"break;" (between these two lines I send the request out).

If the cell phone has the GPS coordinates cached, it returns them
back, if not it tries to get a fix, but no matter in which of the two
states it is, it disconnects me after 30 seconds after executing the
above command in the telnet window.

I get the following output after 22-23 seconds:
<0000> abis_rsl.c:1517 (bts=0,trx=0,ts=0,ss=0) SAPI=0 RELEASE INDICATION
<0004> abis_rsl.c:1478 rsl_handle_release

and then a few seconds later (around 5-8 seconds):
<0004> abis_rsl.c:891 (bts=0,trx=0,ts=0,ss=0) CONNECTION FAIL:
RELEASING CAUSE=0x01(Radio Link Failure)
<0004> abis_rsl.c:621 (bts=0,trx=0,ts=0,ss=0) RF Channel Release CMD due error 1
<0004> abis_rsl.c:658 (bts=0,trx=0,ts=0,ss=0) RF CHANNEL RELEASE ACK
<0000> chan_alloc.c:303 Freeing lchan with state RELEASE DUE ERROR -
setting to NONE

and it doesn't enter the function: void msc_release_connection in
libmsc/osmo_msc.c since I output a comment in the log file when it is
in there!

Do you have an idea, what I might be doing wrong? I get the same
behavior even if I comment out the RRLP request sending (so just
normal silent call).

Once I finish and get it to work, I will make a wiki page so it can
help other users.

Best regards,
Refik Hadzialic