New open hardware for OpenBTS

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:38:11 UTC 2011

Hi all, (and sorry to those who receive this twice)

At Sept 15th I will speak at the Open Hardware Summit at the breakout
session "Open Hardware in Voice Telecommunications" and there I will
present Fairwaves project to create an open hardware transceiver for
OpenBTS. Someone may recall I proposed similar project about 1.5 years
ago, but then abandoned due to lack of interest from the community.
Now it was revived on a new level, thanks to financial and
motivational support from Jean-Samuel Najnudel of BJT Partners SARL.
As an experiment this project will be completely open-sourced in an
open-source hardware way.

Project is in active development, so just to give you an idea of what
we're aiming:
 * Targeted for rural installations.
 * CAPEX and OPEX optimized.
 * 2 TRX per sector. Each TRX connected to its own antenna with its
own saturated (=cheap) power amplifier on Tx side. On Rx side both
antennas are used to provide diversity receive.
 * Reference clock synchronized to GPS for accurate timing.
 * Based on USRP N200, but with Xilinx Spartan 6 and LimeMicro
LMS6002D. Which means it's actually design is much more capable then
just GSM.

More details, web-site, schematics, etc will be available after OHS.
First samples of the hardware we hope to have at the end of this year.

If you're going to OHS - come to our breakout session to discuss the
project and share your ideas!

Alexander Chemeris.