GPRS' PDCH idle filling

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Oct 8 18:13:33 UTC 2011

Hi Alexander,

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 06:39:53PM +0400, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
> > a third party (actually, apparently developers of ip.access Ltd.) have
> > merged GPRS related changes to wireshark mainline without consulting the
> > author of the gsmtap.h header file (me).  This apparently was an
> > accident and they have contacted me after it was included in wireshark.
>
> I just realized that we also haven't contacted you about our WiMAX
> changes to GSMTAP. We just posted our changes to the Wireshark tracker
> and waited until they accept them. Sorry if this broken something for
> you.

luckily it hasn't.  I've imported those changes into gsmtap.h on our
side.

> > So in order to resolve it, I had looked at their changes (wireshark
> > mainline) and updated gsmtap.h in libosmocore to reflect their
> > modifications.
> >
> > So I'm a  bit puzzled that you say there are again some differences.
> > Can you please let me know more details where you found those
> > incompatible values?
>
> http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/libosmocore/tree/include/osmocom/core/gsmtap.h
> vs
> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/trunk/epan/dissectors/packet-gsmtap.c?revision=39288&view=markup
>
> Value for GSMTAP_CHANNEL_PACCH

yes, thanks, I've now raised that wit the wireshark guys and the sierra
wireless guy originally developing the code for PACCH.

> Still, my main question is what is the difference between Osmocom's
> Wireshark and mainline?

the additional protocol dissectors for Abis OML, SIM card protocol,
Ericsson OM2000 and other GSM related stuff that is not merged mainline
yet.

Pablo Neira has been trying to get some of the stuff merged (with
varying degrees of success), but some of the code is simply not mature
enough to get it merged yet.

We used to maintain patches, but it is cumbersome to keep them up to
date with wireshark svn, and to indicate the exact version they are
applying against.  That's why we created the repo.