cannot set static IP adress for a nanoBTS

Chris Rankine cr3 at cr3.us
Mon Mar 7 15:26:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> > using ipaccess-config -i 192.168.10.110/24 -r 192.168.10.101 is just not
> > working as expected. The device reboots, but still asks the DHCP server
> for
> > the IP address.
> >
> > Hardware is a nanoBTS 1800 version 139_029_35.
>
> To be honest, I think this functionality may never have been tested before.
>
> If you want to debug it, I suggest comparing protocol traces when using the
> BTSinstaller of ip.access and our ipaccess-config tool.
>
> Regards,
>        Harald

After a full memory reset, you first need to set certain NVRAM flags using
ipaccess-config to kill the DHCP.  The available flags don't seem to be
documented in the --help text or on the wiki, but you can find them by
digging through the source code (listed at the end of this email).  As for
turning off the DHCP and getting a static IP, try the following:

ipaccess-config -S static-ip -U dhcp-enabled -r [OLD IP]
.... wait for the unit to fully reboot, about 30 seconds with the 1800 model
ipaccess-config -i [NEW IP / NET] -r [OLD IP]

Chris Rankine

static const struct value_string ipa_nvflag_strs[] = {
        { 0x0001, "static-ip" },
        { 0x0002, "static-gw" },
        { 0x0004, "no-dhcp-vsi" },
        { 0x0008, "dhcp-enabled" },