GSM @ Camp 2011 preparations

Konrad Meier meierk at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Jun 5 18:45:09 UTC 2011

Hi Harald,

Am 04.06.2011 21:06, schrieb Harald Welte:
> Hi Peter and others,
>
> it seems like the situation regarding the GSM network at the Camp is
> starting to become clearer every day.
>
> I am still arguing that two relatively large BTS with circular antennas
> are a good idea.  Therefore,  I have now applied for a test license with
> the regulatory authority with the following parameters:
>   * six GSM 1800 ARFCN
>   * two antennas, circular, 18 meters above ground
>   * 5W output power on each ARFCN.  I know one of my customers in Germany
>     has once managed to get a license for 5W, so I thought it is a good
>     bet we should get the same.  It should be more than sufficient to
>     cover the camp.
>   * from August 2nd through August 15th, i.e. we have time for build-up
>     and can also run it one more day during shutdown of the camp

I can confirm that a 5W test license is possible.
At the Univeristy of Freiburg we have a license for three ARFCN with 5W
ERP max. The license was pretty easy to get. The application was just an
e-mail with an the addition that we like to have a licence with the most
possible transmission power.
The Bundesnetzagentur also confirmed that a license in Karlsruhe with 5W
as part of the GPN 2011 [1] is possible.

The 18 meters above ground could be a problem in combination with the
high output power. Our test license is limited to some meters above
ground. At the moment I don't have the exact maximum height but I thing
is is something between 5 and 8 meters.

> 1) nanoBTS based
>     The nanoBTS are 200mW only, so we would need a booster.  Those cost
>     about 1000 EUR for 6W downlink power + 18dB uplink LNA.  Who is going
>     to fund that?  Also, we would need a combiner/splitter to run
>     something like a 3-TRX setup.

We have two nanoBTS-Booster 1800 here at the university. If for some
reason the Ericsson RBS is not working it should be possible to lend you
the two bossters for the time of the camp. We also have a splitter and
combiner. I will test the splitter/combiner in combination with a
booster at the GPN end of this month.

Best Regards
Konrad

[1] http://events.ccc.de/tag/gpn/