Different protocols

Alfonso De Gregorio alfonso.degregorio at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 19:44:16 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> What I'm personally surprised though is why nobody hires people (like us)
> to develop translators / gateways between those dialects.  That's
> probably a hell lot cheaper than replacing your core network from one
> vendor with another vendor...

Though greater interoperability contributes directly in reducing
switching costs, manufacturers enforce their lock-in strategy using
also license agreements.

For every degree of freedom adopters ask for (e.g., one more knob or
switch, or vendor independence), they are willingly or not accepting
one more quantum of liability. At the end of the day -- in a world
where there's already very little accountability on the part of
producers and products sold today -- adopters find themselves holding
the liability bag. This can have a major impact on the operational
risks.

There is an opportunity for us, if we deliver not only a gateway
between network dialects but also confidence about the (updated)
processes to which operators would like to entrust their businesses in
order to overcome the vendor lock-in.

> Regards,
>
> --
> - Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
> "Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
>                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

Ciao,
alfonso

-- alfonso   tweets @secYOUre     blog http://Plaintext.crypto.lo.gy/