Different protocols

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Jul 17 18:43:16 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 08:52:37PM +0900, Seungju Kim wrote:
> I see that pretty much every vendor in GSM industry uses their own
> dialect in their core network products, I wonder why. What do they
> achieve from it while killing compatibility with other products from
> other companies?

It's pretty simple: They ensure the operator is in a "vendor lock-in"
and thus has to buy all equipment from the same vendor.

Thus, there is no real competition and the original "mix and match" idea
as defined in the GSM specs is rendered void.

As an equipment supplier, you can then extort a lot of money from the
operator, since switching from one supplier to another and replacing
equipment is an expensive proposition.

What I'm personally surprised though is why nobody hires people (like us)
to develop translators / gateways between those dialects.  That's
probably a hell lot cheaper than replacing your core network from one
vendor with another vendor...