GSM @ Camp 2011 preparations

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Jul 16 13:51:44 UTC 2011

Hi Konrad,

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 08:45:09PM +0200, Konrad Meier wrote:

> We have two nanoBTS-Booster 1800 here at the university. If for some
> reason the Ericsson RBS is not working it should be possible to lend
> you the two bossters for the time of the camp. We also have a
> splitter and combiner. I will test the splitter/combiner in
> combination with a booster at the GPN end of this month.

As it turns out, I have not yet managed to get the Motorola BTSs
working, despite putting lots of time into it.  There are many reasons,
but basically the Motorola BSS is _extremely_ different from normal GSM BSS

So while I might still get it to work, I doubt it, and it would be
better to pursue different plans now.

We can certainly bring together a sufficient number of nanoBTS units to
fill all our ARFCN.  The problem now is the coverage <-> capacity
problem, i.e. I don't want 6 BTSs with small coverage area, but rather
something like 2 or 3 sites (max) with each 2 or 3 BTSs.

Have you meanwhile tested your splitter/combiner/booster setup?  does it
work?

What I can really easily re-use from the Motorola BTS are 2x hybrid
combiner/duplexer units, i.e. something that has the following ports:

* 1 antenna output, bidirectional, 7/16" socket
* 2 PA Tx inputs, SMA
* 1 Rx antenna output, N-type

So if you don't have a similar setup, we could use those together with
two nanoBTS with a Rx LNA and a Rx splitter.

I have six of those hybrid combiner/duplexers.

I _might_ also get the Rx LNA + splitter of the Motorola BTSs to work,
but those are less stand-alone and I'm not certain about it.

What do you have in terms of antennas?

Also, when would you be able to provide the equipment to me?  I would
want to put everything together + test it well ahead of the camp,
probably around August 1st.

Does anyone else on this list have any 1800 MHz PA, Mixer, Duplexer,
etc. that he would be able to borrow for the Camp GSM network?