State of the HSL Femtocell support

Dakota C dakota at dragonfli.org
Wed Jan 19 14:10:02 UTC 2011

>You would have to talk to the manufacturer and its distributors about
>this.  I have no commercial or other relationship with the manufacturer.

I myself tried this route as I'm a student looking for an inexpensive
way to work with OpenBSC, but...

1: they require a mutual shared NDA before they'll even talk prices;
2: they claim it REQUIRES their proprietary BSC software and thus you
must purchase a femtocell developer kit including their A-bis specs
and a bunch of stuff you don't need, inflating the price; and
3: they only offer their NDA to companies -- individuals and students
need not apply.
4: ... but they DO ship internationally -- GSM1800 only.

But looking at the /only/ price they mention - $7200 US for two
femtocells and all the software -- why bother? You're better off
buying two, maybe three NanoBTS for that price.

And I also seem to question my own point #2 -- they first tell me "If
you do want to use the HSL Femtocell with an alternative to the HSL
BSC..." and then in the latest mail "... our femtocell is designed to
be used with our own BSC" making it seem as if you're not supposed to
be taking it elsewhere.

Le sigh.

-DC