Unknown issue with GGSN/SGSN

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Jan 8 20:50:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 06:16:36PM -0500, Chris Rankine wrote:
> I am trying to implement an experimental EDGE deployment using one of the
> DCS1800 models.  (If needed for debugging purposes, I can request access to
> a GSM900 for GPRS only testing).  I have everything compiled and running
> with the newest builds as of a few or two ago.  EDGE works most of the time,
> however randomly it stops working.

The best way to debug any of this is to set up wireshark to capture all the
packets up and until the time it stops working.  By 'all' packets, I mean
* the OML link from the BTS to BSC
* the RSL link from the BTS to BSC
* the Gb link from the BTS to SGSN
* the GTP link from SGSN to GGSN

If you can provide the resulting pcap file, I am happy to look at it.

Please note that while a numberof people have had success in small lab
installations of OsmoSGSN, it is still quite experimental code.