"Dial up networking" config

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Feb 15 08:09:56 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,

I think you are confusing a number of very different things: USSD, CSD/HSCSD
and GPRS/EDGE.  We do support GPRS+EDGE (marked as experimental).  We don't
do CSD/HSCSD, and there is no need for USSD in connection to all of this.

There is no problem using our GPRS/EDGE support in _small_ lab installations.
Don't put dozens or hundreds of phones at it.

The way you establish the GPRS connection from your phone depends on your
phone / dongle.  Normally it is oriented closely at the AT command set described
in TS 07.07, sometimes with a multiplexer according to TS 07.10.

> number to be dialed, what I believe is a USSD code, and sometimes a username
> and password to be entered.  I am not talking about newer smart phones where
> the connection is sometimes shared using advanced drivers.  Has anyone been
> able to do this with OpenBSC?

On the network side, there is no difference between those two cases.  So to
OpenBSC, OsmoSGSN and OpenGGSN it does not matter whether you use serial lines,
USB or a smartphone that locally terminates the IP and then does something like
USB/WiFi tethering. It's all the same.