Proposed OpenBSC application interface

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Tue Feb 15 14:12:45 UTC 2011

On 02/15/2011 03:04 PM, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>

> But we only have 08.08 support if you run osmo-bsc, at which point you loose
> all the MM common procedures,etc.  The requirement seems to be flexibility,
> i.e. being able to use any or all of the bsc_hack features and configure
> flexibly what you want.

The adaption to make bsc_hack connect to osmo-bsc would be small and actually
osmo-bsc is (almost) able to handle a connection locally and then move it to
the external interface.

> Tobias and I have now discussed an alternative approach: Filtering.  Something
> similar to NF_QUEUE, where all incoming/outgoing RSL(RLL) messages are routed
> through an external application first.  The app can then simply allow them to
> pass, filter them, modify or replace them with something completely different.

Again, I don't know all the usecases and just have the approach I would take
in mind. One (the only) issue I see is timers. E.g. we have timers for CC,
SMS, etc. We want to stop, release the resources without releasing the
connection. I assume leaking is a an allowed option for the fuzzing.