omsosgsn test phone recommendation?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Dec 14 22:41:52 UTC 2011

Hi David,

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:05:31AM -0800, David A. Burgess wrote:

> Does you have an example GSMTAP/PCAP trace of a successful PDP context
> activation using OmsoSGSN?  That would be useful for comparison.  (And
> do you find the GPRS L3 & SNDCP decoding in the current Wireshark 1.7
> to be reliable?)

I currently don't think I have any traces ready that I could share with
you, but there might be some other people on this list who have.

In any case, if you are already getting beyound the GMM procedures (RA
UPDATE / GPRS ATTACH) in bi-directional communication between the MS and
the SGSN, then I think your L1 and RLC/MAC are working.

I guess the problem might really be the PDP CONTEXT ACTIVATE then.

I would look in the PCAP files for
 * issues with using the wrong TLLI, especially during/after P-TMSI
   reallocation (maybe patch out the code from OsmoSGSN)
 * sequence numbering issues on the LLC layer sequence numbers

And yes, so far I havent' had much complaints about the GMM/SM/SNDCP/LLC
decoding of wireshark.