How to fake Roaming?

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 09:32:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

> Besides the unlikely way of real roaming with an carrier another option
> would be to fake the outgoing number. Does anybody know a service that could
> be used for that (i would need to fake a german GSM number).

I know some SIP providers (like voipbuster) let you set the outgoing
caller ID. However those (often ?) require to register that caller ID
first and prove ownership of the number in question (SMS / test calls
/ ...)

> Does anybody know how this is handled  on oil rigs or ships? Do they have a
> roaming agreement ?

On Waves ( http://www.on-waves.com/ ), the company that funded some
work on OpenBSC, does network on ships and they have "real" roaming
(SS7 connection / roaming agreements and everything AFAIK).

Cheers,

    Sylvain