SIM programmer recommendations?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Apr 21 06:52:27 UTC 2011

Hi David,

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 07:35:11PM -0700, David A. Burgess wrote:

> I am looking for a full-card SIM programmer to use with pySim and GR-Card
> SIMs.  By full-card I mean it accepts a full-size smart-card with the SIM
> still attached.  I have tried the Bludrive II unit provided by GR-Card under
> both Mac OS X and Ubuntu with no luck.  (And yes, I tried downloading and
> installing the drivers.)  Can anyone recommend something that is known to
> work with pySim under Linux or OS X?  Or is there some other driver that I
> need to install or configure?

Under Linux you can use any PC/SC supported smartcard reader, as long as you
install pcsc-lite, and the device has a PC/SC ifd_handler driver.

My personal recommendation are readers that support the USB CCID specification.

CCID is a vendor-independent USB protocol for smart card readers, very similar
to other generic USB classes like HID for keyboards.

A list of well-known working readers is available from:
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/supported.html

A more verbose list with 'should work' and 'don't work' can be found at
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/section.html

I'm personally mostly using the Omnikey 3121 / 5121 readers here.