nanoBTS question

Albert Paijmans albert at vraagalex.nl
Tue Sep 21 16:31:42 UTC 2010

Thanks for all the answers.

Maybe you heard about the Village-Telco Mesh Potato project?
That started out with a router based of openwrt / dd-wrt, and then designed
their own Mesh Potato.
It is an embedded Asterisk with wifi and mesh networking.

With SDR (software defined radio) would it not be possible to design /
develop a cheap GSM basestation?
I am a total noob on hardware development but I suppose there is a large
market for this.
Or maybe somebody already working on reverse engineering other base stations
like the nanobts?

If one wanted to design a base station controller, what would be needed?
Do you really need something like http://www.percello.com/prc6000.php
Or might something simpler be possible with modifying a router and with a
different antenna on 1800mhz?

Albert