alternative hardware

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Tue Sep 14 20:25:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 14:57 +0200, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I have read about this device many months ago, but as far as I know, it
> > is still vaporware.  As such, it ceases to exist until somebody can show
> > me it exist in the real world.
>
> It seems to exist :
>
> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0SAhCiCPPA4/S0UoNk0bkFI/AAAAAAAABuc/Lz3B0U9a8To/s400/FemtoJack.jpg
> http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/01/09/hands-on-with-the-magicjack-femtocell/
>
> Just not available to buy ... latest news in August said that they had problem :
>  - Either the power was too low and the range made it basically
> useless and/or poor quality
>  - Either the power was too high and then their "legal argument" of
> low power/your house only didn't quite hold anymore ...
>
> > Adding OpenBSC support for an existing inexpensive device would of course
> > be an exciting task.
>
> And if someone has time, implementing an openbts/openbsc bridge would
> be cool as well :)
>

>From what i heard this afternoon (and if i understood correctly), one of
our the innovation managers is talking to the manufacturer.

If enough docu will become available, we could propose to start a
project for it. From a legal point-of-view there are no obstacles for
me. We have a licence to operate as our own mobile-provider, and have
roaming agreements with all national operators.

All i need is the single channel, low power option, so that anyone at
home (or abroad) can use his own gsm, and pass the voice to our own
asterisk. If succesfully we'll be ordering serious numbers, as we can
seriously cut costs.

So we have the finance, the time, any legal framework, the drive to make
it work and an opensource minded manager, Just got to get hold of any
model, either high or low power.

hw