Project / Program naming

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun May 16 11:24:41 UTC 2010

Hi all!

I think it's about time that we seriously think about how to handle naming
of the individual programs as well as the project itself.

OpenBSC was always a mis-nomer since what we started with is much more
than a BSC: It's an entire GSM network (excluding BTS) in one process.

This was mostly due to the fact that OpenGSM was way too generic and I
wasn't able to come up with a good name.

Meanwhile, we've started project Osmocom (Open Soruce mobile Communications),
where work is being done on the MS (phone) side of GSM.  The idea was to have
a name generic enough for sub-projects.  There are currently two such projects:
* OsmocomBB - the BaseBand firmware
* libosmocore - the shared library with utilities that are used accross programs

In OpenBSC, we currently have the following executables:
* bsc_hack - the gsm network-in-a-box
* bsc_msc_ip - the actual BSC-only version talking to a real MSC
* bsc_nat - the A interface NAT
* bsc_mgcp - the media control gateway
* osmo-gbproxy - the Gb interface proxy
* osmo-sgsn - the soon-to-be-working SGSN
as well as a number of utilities like bs11-config, ipaccess-find,
ipaccess-config, etc.

What Zecke and me have decided some time ago is to move everything under the
umbrella of the Osmocom project name.  This menans that the homepage and git
repositories will move to openbsc.osmocom.org/bsc.osmocom.org and git.osmocom.org
(while keeping aliases/redirects in place).

What worries me most is the naming of bsc_hack and bsc_msc_ip.

I think bsc_msc_ip should be called osmo-bsc, as it is a true BSC
implementation.

For bsc_hack it's much harder.  A logical name would be osmo-gnib (gsm network
in a box), but as I've already received tons of complaints about osmocom, I'm
not going to come up with even stranger acronyms.  However, I want to rename
it.  It should be prefixed with "osmo-" and the name should not erroneously
indicate that we're talking abuot something thats _only_ a BSC.

Does anyone on this list have an idea for a good name?

For all the other programs, I'd also advocate prefixing them with "osmo-",
but that's less of a pressing concern right now.