User location openbsc

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed May 12 10:52:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:14:27AM +0200, Fabrice Ismael Poundeu Tchouatieu wrote:
> Hello Harald,
> can you please explain me how the subscriber location actually work
> in openbsc. i have seen that you also have a VLR implemented. How
> does this work? I actually just test the registration and calls in
> roaming mode. To which part of the Openbsc implementation
> (program-code) should i refer to for this (subscriber location
> implementation)?

We don't really have/use any VLR.  All we have is a subscriber table,
and each subscriber can have a completely different MCC/MNC as part of
his IMSI - we simply don't care.  There is no distinction between
roaming and home network subscribers at all.

All we care about is if the subscriber.authorized field is 0 or 1 in
the sql database.

Regarding 'subscriber location' between multiple BTS: We simply store
the LAC of where the subscriber was last seen.