Merge plan for the On-Waves branch to master

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Mon Mar 29 05:23:08 UTC 2010

On Monday 29 March 2010 04:25:02 Harald Welte wrote:

Hi LaF0rge,

> As far as I can understand the implications of your approach, I
> completely agree with it.  We need that BSC/MSC split and the resulting
> split of bsc-side lchan and msc-side structure.

thanks.

> > This would involve queuing of messages...
>
> can you illustrate why that is required?  I don't doubt it, but I can't
> seem to figure out why...

I see why you are wondering. All the messages seem to work with sending a
request and then getting an ack. So besides queuing the one message that
starts transmitting on a new SAPI in theory we should not need to queue.

I have a queue in the on-waves/bsc-master branch just because I have a MSC
that was sending more commands even when something like ASSIGNMENT, CIPHER
MODE, or SAPI establishment was not yet completed.

> So once we really have separate BSC and MSC executables, I'd appreciate
> if their naming would also somehow include the osmocom/osmo prefix in
> them.

I see no issue in putting a osmo_ in front of the executable names and joining
all of the different GSM subsystems into the "osmocom" umbrella.