IMPORTANT: Building OpenBSC with libosmocore

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Mar 5 23:58:50 UTC 2010

Hi All

Just to clarify this (since we've had another question on the ML)

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 10:15:44AM +0100, Holger Freyther wrote:

> You are using the latest version of libosmocore but not the one of OpenBSC.

You always need to use latest OpenBSC with latest libosmocore.  We really
cannot afford to spend more time in supporting any kind of forward/backward
compatibility on a commit level.

However, what we should do, is to make official releases of both the library
and the OpenBSC program.  OpenBSC will then require a particular version of
libosmocore, and the configure script will notice if it is not available.

I think OpenBSC has been quite useful and stable for quite some time, it would
be great to make something like an 1.0 release at some point soon.  Maybe
zecke and myself can do this in the next couple of weeks.

> libosmocore is a rather new library and we move stuff from OpenBSC into this
> library, which means if you have a new version of libosmocore and a bit older
> one of OpenBSC your compiler will see stuff twice.

This will probably still be the case for the weeks to come, while even more
stuff (e.g. 04.08 call control IE parsing / generation) moves into libosmocore.

So please, always do a full cycle of

 * "git pull" on libosmocore
 * "git pull" on openbsc
 * "./configure && make install" on libosmocore
 * "./configure && make" on openbsc

This way you'll get a consistent build.

Thanks for your understanding,