UMTS support??

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Jun 7 19:21:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 03:51:29PM +0200, Nordin wrote:

> Just being curious, are there any plans for UMTS support?

There are lots of plans but only 24 hours per day and very few developers.

So as soon as you or anyone else starts working on it, we will be happy
to merge it :)

> I remember Harald said something about an ASN.1 PER was an obstacle
> to start for UMTS support.

ASN.1 PER makes things a bit more uncomfortable but its definitely possible
nonetheless.  Either by implementing those few message types by hand as
hex-coded templates in C, or by using a Erlang program linked to a C process
(the C interface for sending/receiving messages to/from Erlang processes is
quite small and easy to use) or by adding the respective bits to asn1c.

> Are there also nanoBTS for UMTS, I only know of 2G devices...
> It was just quite on the list :p

Well, there are various 3G femtocells out there, including Alcatel/Lucent model
(using RANAP), Ubiquisys (using UMA) and ip.access/Cisco using URSL.