[BUG REPORT]: Unable to send SMS

Luca Bertoncello bertoncello at netzing.de
Wed Jul 14 09:14:21 UTC 2010

Am Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:04:01 CEST
schrieb "Dieter Spaar" <spaar at mirider.augusta.de>:

Hi, Dieter!

> Harald probably knows the details better, but the basic problem is
> that the phone does not tell you exactly what channels it needs
> when it sends the Channel Request, at least if NECI is set to 0
> (new establishment causes are not supported). So the channel
> allocator allocates a TCH channel, to be able to handle everything
> (SMS and Voice).

So the theory. Unfortunately (as always!) the practice is
other... :D

> One solution for this is to switch from Very Early Assignment to
> other assignment procedures. I think Holger and Harald have plans
> to support this.

Aha!

I did some tests, to know which Channel Requests are sent in the
specific context, and I see that OpenBSC (with neci == 0!!) get 0xE5 or
0xE6 by calling and 0xE1 by SMS sending.
Unfortunately, the mask is the same, and the function
get_ctype_by_chreq can't decide what the phone says...

Maybe an "if(ra == 0XE1)" will help to correct the problem, but it is a
VERY BAD solution...

> However there also seems to be a different solution: You can set
> NECI to 1, this way the phone can tell you in more detail what
> it wants. I have not done extensive tests, but it seems that
> this could solve the problem without the need to change the
> code. You just have to set "neci 1" in the OpenBSC configuration
> file.

I try with neci 1 in my config!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!
Luca Bertoncello
Entwicklung                               Mail:  bertoncello at netzing.de

NETZING Solutions AG                      Tel.:  0351/41381 - 0
Kesselsdorfer Str. 216, 01169 Dresden     Fax:   0351/41381 - 12
HRB 18926 / Ust.ID DE211326547            Mail:  netzing.ag at netzing.de