[BUG REPORT]: Unable to send SMS

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Jul 13 14:06:55 UTC 2010

Hi Luca,

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 09:12:03AM +0200, Luca Bertoncello wrote:

> > I have now tried the current version of libosmocore + openbsc and
> > tested SMS with the following phones:
> >
> > * Nokia 3310
> > * HTC TyTN II
> > * Google/Android G1
> > * Sony-Ericsson K800i
> > * Motorola C123
> >
> > It was working from all of them without any problem.  I really cannot
> > reproduce the problem you are experiencing at all. Can you please
> >
> > 1) make sure you do a full rebuild (make distclean; ./configure;
> > make; make install) of both libosmocore and openbsc
> > 2) send your openbsc.cfg that was used
>
> Hi, Harald!
>
> Thanks for your E-Mail.
> I just tried the last version from git of libosmocore and OpenBSC.
> I did a full rebuild in a new directory (no previous version).
>
> I tried to send an SMS with my Siemens S65v (today I have just that or
> NE110. No other phones...). Again not possible.

I think one of the things you could ask from Netzing is to provide some more
different phones to you for testing purpose.  It's a small expense but
should help us to identify if it is something related to your setup (i.e.
your OpenBSC installation behaves different than ours), or it is related
to the phones.

I suggest you ask Mr. Schneider for an OK to buy some old Nokia 3310 off
eBay, and possibly a SonyEricsson K800i.  This is what I mostly use for
testing.  At least on GPRS, the K800i was particularly "picky" i.e. it would
always refuse to work if OpenBSC/OsmoSGSN did anything wrong - which made
it a good device for testing.

The Netzing NE110 (as well as other MTK phones) seem to have a bug in
their MO-SMS code.  Dieter has told me he is looking at a workaround to this
(by sending dummy authentication request/response), and he will e-mail this
list once he has some results.

> I'm not sure what this "<0011> handover_logic.c:163 unable to find HO
> record" means (see below):

this is just a status message of the handover code that discovers this newly-
established channel is not part of a handover procedure, but a channel for
regular channel establishment.

> I use a nanoBTS900 and on my PC runs a KUbuntu Hardy (8.04).

Can you try the GSM1800 nanoBTS, and tell me the software/firmware version (as
reported by ipaccess-config)?  Holger, Dieter and myself all don't understand
the problems you are experiencing, and it might be something that is different
in your setup than ours (and we use GSM1800 nanoBTS).

Sorry for taking so much time to resolve this, but it really is a big
mystery.