RSL "Channel Release" Sequence

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Thu Jan 28 09:34:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm currently implementing Early Assignment in the On Waves branch and as part
of this I will have to take care of RSL channel releases as well.

Someone else was pointing this out as well but I could not find the email. Our
channel release is a bit sloppy and I will fix it and start using T3111 and
T3109 in the rsl code for doing so.

In the "normal" case (bsc on the left, bts on the right):
RSL Channel Release -->
<- RSL Channel Release Ack
<- Release Indication SAPI=0
RSL Channel Release ->
<- RSL Channel Release Ack

In the "abnormal" case:
<- Error Indication
RSL Channel Release ->
<- RSL Channel Release Ack
<- Release Indication SAPI=0
RSL Channel Release ->
<- RSL Channel Release Ack

I'm going to change that into the following way.

"normal" case:
1.) Release the established SAPIs
2.) After their ACKs release the Channel
Have all this guarded by T3109 (or whatever is more appropriate)

"abnormal" case:
1.) Start T3109
2.) Then do the normal case.

During the shutdown sequence I need to make sure that we are not allocating
the channel again. I'm thinking of either using the chan mode Harald was
introducing while doing the hand over work, or just a "locked" flag to not
assign the channel.

I hope to be done with this by tomorrow or the day after, anyone has comments
or ideas on how to approach this?

	z.