USSD traces from live networks needed

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 16:19:37 UTC 2010

Harald,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 14:42, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 09:37:46PM +0300, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Since no one  replied and I'm tired of waiting, we've made our own
>> debug Nokia phone. I gave up searching for a cable and we just
>> soldered cable to the M-BUS pins. We used old data cable for
>> Siemens as a USB-Serial converter, they were PL2303 based.
>> This works like a charm and is a very cheap solution. If you lack
>> special cable for your Nokia - take this way into consideration.
>
> great to see you're making progress.
>
> I would have loved to generate/provide USSD traces, but to be honest
> I've never seen USSD in use here in Germany...

Interesting why - USSD is a convenient technology for self-care
and VAS. All three Russian mobile operators engage it. Web-site
based self-care has more features, but USSD is very convenient
when you don't have internet access or need to switch some feature
on/off quickly.

Btw I found that all three operators implement USSD menu as
MT-USSD, while we where trying to implement it vice versa.
Probably this is to circumvent buggy MO-USSD in old phones
like Siemens A52 I have. But from the Standard point of view
this is surprisingly non-obvious way.

I think I can upload captured traces somewhere if someone wants
to look at them.

Alexander Chemeris.