OpenBSC code questions

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Jan 7 08:58:30 UTC 2010

Hi Dimitris,

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 02:49:39PM +0200, Dimitris Karampatsis wrote:

> I ‘ve tried to use the latest OpenBSC code with a nanoBTS at 850 MHz.

great news. I think you might be the first one.

> I have been able to compile the code in Debian Linux and run it
> successfully.  Mobiles were able to register successfully to the network.  In
> addition the IMSI and TMSI numbers were collected successfully.  However, I
> have encountered a few issues that are summarised below:
>
>    - Segmentation faults (software crashes) occur in situations where I try
>    to send an SMS message through the telnet interface or when I try to make a
>    phone call from one mobile to another

gdb backtraces would be helpful in those cases.  I have not seen any of those,
at least not in configurations with a single BTS.  The only case I remember
seeing this is when you have multiple BTS in the same location area, which is
currently not supported.

>    - When sending SMSs from one mobile to another, the SMS are collected
>    successfully to the database but are not sent to the other mobile. In the
>    telnet interface I use the command “SMS SEND PENDING” but nothing happens.
>    The SMSs are sent to the terminating mobile when either restarting the
>    OpenBSC software or when the terminating mobile re-registers to the OpenBSC
>    network

that is strange, and definitely works here.

>    - IMEI numbers are sometimes not collected (especially on Nokia phones)
>    or the wrong IMEI number is displayed

I have also noticed the missing collection of IMEI numbers, but have not yet
debugged it.

Regarding apparent "wrong" numbers: We are inquiring the IMEI, whereas what you
see on *#06# is the IMEISV.  It might be that this is the vcase.

> I am trying to install a debugger to check why the segmentation faults
> occurs.  The only debugger that works is from Netbeans that uses the GDB
> debugger. However the debugger hangs when trying to initialise the database
> (it stucks in command dbi_initialize(NULL) on db.c file)
>
> Can anyone help why the debugger hangs or recommend a debugger that will
> work with this code?

we all work with gdb.  What we usually do is to do something like 'ulimit -c
unlimited', then start bsc_hack.  When it crashes, it leaves a 'core' file.
You can then start the debugger using 'gdb ./bsc_hack ./core' and see the backtrace,
navigate through the call stack, etc.