OpenBSC code questions

Dimitris Karampatsis dkarampa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:49:39 UTC 2010

Hello,

I ‘ve tried to use the latest OpenBSC code with a nanoBTS at 850 MHz.

I have been able to compile the code in Debian Linux and run it
successfully.  Mobiles were able to register successfully to the network.  In
addition the IMSI and TMSI numbers were collected successfully.  However, I
have encountered a few issues that are summarised below:

   - Segmentation faults (software crashes) occur in situations where I try
   to send an SMS message through the telnet interface or when I try to make a
   phone call from one mobile to another
   - When sending SMSs from one mobile to another, the SMS are collected
   successfully to the database but are not sent to the other mobile. In the
   telnet interface I use the command “SMS SEND PENDING” but nothing happens.
   The SMSs are sent to the terminating mobile when either restarting the
   OpenBSC software or when the terminating mobile re-registers to the OpenBSC
   network
   - IMEI numbers are sometimes not collected (especially on Nokia phones)
   or the wrong IMEI number is displayed

Have anyone else noticed these issues?

I am trying to install a debugger to check why the segmentation faults
occurs.  The only debugger that works is from Netbeans that uses the GDB
debugger. However the debugger hangs when trying to initialise the database
(it stucks in command dbi_initialize(NULL) on db.c file)

Can anyone help why the debugger hangs or recommend a debugger that will
work with this code?

Many thanks

Regards,

 Dimitris