Branches update & things to consider for merging

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Jan 7 16:55:12 UTC 2010

Hi Sylvain,

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 02:22:58PM +0100, Sylvain Munaut wrote:

> AFAIK, the phone only keeps the data from last authentication ( Kc & key_seq
> ).
> When you send a CIPHER MODE COMMAND, it will use the last negotiated one, no
> choice there.

of course.  I meant you can keep multiple of them so you can select one of
them before doing an AUTH COMMAND

> Keeping multiple AuthTuple for a subscriber would be useless since only the
> last one has usable data. And it's even easier if we only keep one because
> this way, to find the next "key sequence", we can just take the old stored
> one and increment it ...

The idea of the AuthTuple is as follows:

* you don't know the Ki of a SIM card
* you still want to use authentication/encryption
* so you send a couple of challenges to the SIM, remember the RAND
  and record the SRES + Kc that you get

now every time you want to authenticate that sim, you randomly select one of
your known AuthTuples and send the recorded RAND, compare the SRES.