Notes from the 27C3 network

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Thu Dec 30 11:03:35 UTC 2010

Hi all,

here are some notes about bsc_hack as it ran on the 27C3. In day0 we
discovered a nice SQL injection bug, in day1 we had plenty of segfaults,
mostly in the error and time-out paths of the MSC (but also some in the BSC
API). These included crashes due clearing the channel and removing the ->lchan
from the conn, RLL time out handling in the SMS code and some more.

The network ran without segfault (only one crash due my stupidity on a new VTY
command) after this. The biggest issue as that SMS got stuck. Code review has
found some issues immediately but this didn't fix it. On more code review an
issue with the 'subscr_get_channel' was identified.

First of all the transaction layer just stopped paging requests, e.g. stopping
the paging for someone else's subscr_get_channel, then the Call Control code
never called subscr_put_channel when it is done. I have created two band aids
for this situation but there is a bigger issue with the code.

If somebody has spare time and wants to do some simple changes one can do:

1.) The subscriber layer passes the 'subscr' pointer to the paging layer, it
should pass the request to it.
2.) It should be possible to cancel channel requests that were not scheduled yet.
3.) Once we started auth on the channel the 'request' state should be changed
too. It is not right now due 1.).
4.) ....