How RRLP 'MS assisted GPS' really works

Dieter Spaar spaar at mirider.augusta.de
Sun Dec 12 21:01:54 UTC 2010

Hello Christian,

Thank you very much for the links.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:22:41 +0100, "Christian Vogel" <vogelchr at vogel.cx> wrote:

> There are a few. My Trimble Thunderbolt can give you doppler and
> codephase (gps often calls it "pseudorange").

Thats interesting, the ublox 5 GPS module I was playing with only
provides those data if you have the so called "raw data premium
feature" enabled (whatever this means, I have not yet looked at
the details).

> Sparkfun sells "only the frontend" (mixer, 1-bit ADC, USB)
> with sourcecode available in a book and on DVD (WTF?!)
>
> ---> http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8238

Interesting device, I wasn't aware of it (I know about the book).
Is the Source Code of the book available ? So far I have only
seen some material for download at the following site, not sure
if there is the whole content of the DVD:

   http://kom.aau.dk/project/softgps/

Would be interesting to use the code with a USRP.

> There's actually quite a lot of information out there,
> but there also seem to be quite a lot of half-abandoned
> projects (and a few seem to have vanished since the last time I had
> an interest in it around 2005).

I had a short look at some but always had the impression that
it is not exactly what I am looking for. I guess I should try
to get a GPS receiver which provides the required data, thats
probably the easiest approach.

Best regards,
  Dieter
Dieter Spaar, Germany                           spaar at mirider.augusta.de