BS11 power problem

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Dec 2 23:22:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 09:58:23PM +0300, Sergey V. Efimoff wrote:

> But right after the very first GSM call the receive level quickly jumps down
> to -70 or even -80 dBm, this value corresponds to 30mW of output power. BTS
> station still works and output power is still shown as 2W.

In case you are running a multi-TRX BTS: is this the received power level on
the TCH of the call or on the BCCH ?  If downlink power control is active, the
BTS will not send more power than needed on a dedicated channel...

> This effect had been discovered with only one of my BTS stations, while other
> stations work well.  Does it mean that it's a hardware problem? Has anyone
> discovered this problem earlier?

Are the other BTS's configured exactly the same way?  As explained, the
difference single-trx / dual-trx and downlink power control might explain it.

otherwise, if configuration of bs-11, openbsc and the bs11 firmware is
identical, it might well be a hardware issue.  But I don't get why it would
be related to the first call or not...