Ericsson RBS

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Apr 18 13:08:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 06:40:16PM +0900, Seungju Kim wrote:
> I found some ericsson rbs's on eBay, they were being sold at much
> cheaper price than nanobts.. Will it be supported?

unfortunately those are not a complete RBS unit, but only one part (the
transceiver unit).

We've had that unit mentioned earlier on the list, see
http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/openbsc/2009-August/000734.html

As you can see from the doucmentation, the units sold on eBay are only the RRU
(Remote Radio Unit) but not the IXU (Interface and switching unit)

The RRU is the actual radio transceiver, but the IXU is what terminates the
E1/T1 A-bis link.  Both units are connected over a undocumented/proprietary
interface called Y-Link.

So you would have to get your hands on a matching RBS 2380 IXU.  Also,
you need the OMT (a windows PC based software for configuration), or serial
traces of that software so you can reimplement its features.

Last, but not least, we have zero documentation nor any protocol traces as
examples on Ericsson's A-bis dialect.  I suppose we could get most features
working fairly quickly, but that is just a wild guess.