new 1.6 debian packages for lcr and misdnuser

Joerg Dorchain joerg at dorchain.net
Mon Sep 14 12:40:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 01:25:32PM +0200, Andreas Eversberg wrote:

> i am not into debian. can you explain:

no problem. First let me point you to the debian packaging howto:
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

> - what files in your directory http://www.dorchain.net/~joerg/code/debian/
> should be added to the git repository?

At this place you not only find the binary packages, but also the
sources. The sources consist of
- lcr_1.6~20090906.orig.tar.gz, which is the same as
  http://www.linux-call-router.de/download/lcr-1.6/lcr_20090906.tar.gz,
  just with a naming according to debian conventions (don't worry
  about that. Names are the least problem, just stick with yours.)
- lcr_1.6~20090906-1.dsc, which is a short description of the
  source with several checksums to ensure integrity
- lcr_1.6~20090906-1.diff.gz, which contains the
  changes/additions to your original version. This is the
  interesting stuff here.

For misdn, the analog holds.

The diff creates a single directory "debian/" in the root
directory of the source. Everything debian specific is contained
therein. If you just ignore it all else builds as before.

> - where should they be located? (inside lcr directory)

As per convention: A single directory debian/ just underneath the
main directory.

> - what files of original lcr or mISDN git are changed?

Directly none. For lcr, there is a subdirectory inside the debian
directory debian/patches/, which contains the modifications. it
is based on quilt (yes, that is overkill here ;-). Only two
patches are currently active (look in the series file inside this
directory): replace_local.patch, which changes installation
paths to be more debian compliant, and configure_warning, which
remove a warning with the current debian build system. For misdn,
two patches are active. One that fixes a problem and is
probably already in your tree, the other prevents the shared
libmisdn.so from being installed, as there are currently some
objections here and at the moment the tools in this package are
the only one using it.

debian/rules is basically a make file with a very strong debian
dialect in it. For you, I assume, the patch, configure, and build
target are most interesting.

FYI, there is also an svn repository for the debian-specify stuff
explaining the choosen layout at
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-voip/README?op=file and
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-voip/

I would not mind building against the current head of
development, but IMHO the distribution would better accept releases.
Besides, there need to be support (e.g. in the form of branches)
for security fixes in older versions, should the package ever
make it into a debian stable release.