Motorola V3 Force ARFCN

Caleb Pal cleb at defcon-3.net
Mon Sep 14 02:19:33 UTC 2009

Hello,

While experimenting with a Motorola V3 GSM branded for AT&T, I enabled the
Engineering Menu with a SEEM edit. Not a terribly hard procedure once you
know where to look. After performing this hack, I looked in the Engineering
Menu, and there is an option to force the ARFCN the phone camps on. I think
this would be a useful tool if you want to force a handset to camp on your
Base Station. I'm not if it will help with the clock issues, but it might
alleviate some frustration. The Original V3's (no 3G) can be found on ebay
for a decent price. I'm not sure if any other phones include this
functionality (I haven't come across any), so I thought I would share it
with you all. If you need help performing the SEEM edit, let me know.

Caleb