official ip.access wireshark Abis/IP dissector

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Oct 9 14:15:34 UTC 2009

Hi!

Quite some time ago (must be 2-3 months ago), I have officially inquired
at ip.access about the source code of their wireshark modifications, as per
the GNU GPL.

It took them some time, but they eventually responded recently.  Today I
finally received a CD-ROM with the source code.

I've uploaded it to the OpenBSC wiki, and it is now available from
http://openbsc.gnumonks.org/trac/attachment/wiki/nanoBTS/wireshark-1.0.6ipa27.tar.gz

Had I known earlier that ip.access has actually written a GPL licensed
dissector, many hours (rather days/weeks) of reverse engineering time would
have been saved.

I have not yet had time to review it thoroughly, though I plan to merge/port
the interesting bits of it with my dissectors for A-bis OML and ip.access RSL
extensions and eventually submit it to wireshark mainline.

If you use this source code, please don't just simply take it and push it
to upstream wireshark, as that would conflict with the patches that we have
in openbsc git at the moment.

Have fun with it,