RFC: Establishing logging standards

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Wed Oct 7 08:38:04 UTC 2009

Hey,

I think in the next days I will go around the sourcecode and change a couple
of logging messages. My two primary goals are increase the usefulness to figure
out what was going wrong and the second to be able to put some of these into
the syslog. Should we use DEBUG* to also log to syslog or introduce a new set
of macros?

Log Levels:

I think Harald has expressed the wish to introduce log levels. Should we
follow the log levels of syslog(3)?

Messages:

I would like to collect formats for various actions. Currently I'm thinking of
the following but would like to have more input.

subscriber:
When talking about a subscriber use TMSI, IMSI and Extension.

lchan:
Include refcount, channel type, link_id, subscriber

sccp:
Talk about SCCP source local reference and pointer

transaction:
Print the transaction?

gsm0408:
Print the lchan which prints the subscriber?

comments?

	holger